Thursday 27 January 2011

Waxwing duck broken

Had a cheeky trip out from the office today. I was scanning through the news services while I was on the phone and found that there was a flock of Waxwings about 10 minutes walk from the office. I'd dipped on another flock near the office about 10 days ago and had failed on another 3-4 attempts during the current invasion. I was beginning to think that I'd be the only birder in the country not to pick up any Waxwings despite the thousands of birds currenlty in the country.

I wandered round St John's Square peering into berry trees with no success then looked up to see tv aerials covered in Waxwings. All the following shots taken with a rubbish phone camera - of all the hundreds of Waxwing photos currently on the web, these may well be the worst.





Looking for more berry trees I saw another birder had one staked out with a camera and went over to join him. The Waxwings did a few flights round the tree but were a little nervous of landing as the street was pretty busy with a constant stream of people walking past their favoured tree. At one point they landed in the small tree, grabbed a few berries each and flew off again, returning to the TV aerials.





No comments:

Post a Comment