Sunday 19 September 2010

Swallows head north for the winter

Walking down the Wandle I was a bit surprised to see a small party of Swallows heading north following the river. It's autumn - shouldn't they be heading south? I watched then head north to the river then, when they reached the Thames they turned west. I assume they're following the Thames west before the turn south again somewhere - but what will be the trigger for them to turn south, or do they keep going west until they hit the coast around Bristol? Over around 20 minutes I watched around at least 25 birds in small groups follow exactly the same path.

Also around 2 Jackdaw - the first I've seen or heard here since March. I guess these birds are part of either the huge population around Richmond Park or the smaller population (half a dozen pairs, maybe?) around Barnes WWT. Fairly typical numbers of gulls (but only 4spp) and ducks around and a single Grey Wag that flew upriver calling.

2 comments:

  1. If they do the same as last winter the Jackdaws will hang around the area. As far as I know, this is the first winter that they were anywhere near permanent. Swallows a nice late find though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mr Thing - glad to hear you were back on the patch the other day, good to know that Norfolk isn't getting all of your time. I noticed the same thing - they slum around the tip in winter and then (I guess) go back to leafy Richmond in spring.

    ReplyDelete